The project obtained Development Consent from the NSW Planning Assessment Commission on 30 March 2016. The Development Consent was granted under the provisions of section 89E of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act (1979). The Development Consent sets out conditions that must be complied with in undertaking the project. The conditions cover construction, operation, decommissioning, administrative, and community enhancement matters.
Summary of key stages in the project development process:
- Environmental Assessment for the project placed on public exhibition in 2009
- Preferred Project Report and response to submissions placed on public exhibition in December 2012 to March 2013
- Referral under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act in September 2013
- Application referred to the NSW Planning Assessment Commission for determination on 3 February 2015.
- Revised Assessment Report recommending approval of the Coppabella precinct referred to the NSW Planning Assessment Commission for determination on 1 February 2016.
- NSW Planning Assessment Commission Development Consent on 30 March 2016.
The associated documents can be found on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment Major Project Register.
Referral under the EPBC Act
In December 2017, CWFPL submitted a referral to the Department of Environment and Energy under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
The Department of Environment and Energy currently has an invitation for public comment on the referral, see here.